Why Choose ASAOM?
Enroll now for Fall classes starting in 2016; There are many accredited and candidate schools of Chinese medicine in North America. All have a common core curriculum, each is in some respects unique, and all are worthy of serious consideration.
As you think about choosing our school as a setting to become a practitioner of Chinese medicine, I invite you to reflect on the values embodied in what we offer you:
- A full medicine
- A distinctive competence in Tuina
- Personal Qi development
- Using the Tao Te Ching as the core of our medicine and a guide to living an harmonious life
- Western clinical modalities that complement and enhance our practice
- A tradition of success on the national acupuncture boards, and graduates who stay in practice
- Extensive supervised clinical experience
- Here you learn to practice a full medicine—traditional Chinese thinking and diagnosis along with skills in acupuncture, herbs, and Asian bodywork therapy—the three departments in a traditional Chinese hospital. We teach a full medicine so that when you are in practice you can respond competently and with confidence to whatever concerns people bring in your clinic door.
- Here you develop a distinctive competence in Tuina, the Chinese medical massage/hand therapy that has features of American physical therapy, chiropractic and osteopathy. Two years of tuina training, with supervised clinic, give you the skill, experience, and confidence you need to practice Tuina professionally.Most patients come to a Chinese medicine practitioner because they are in pain. Needles and herbs can almost always help, but they may take a while. Sometimes the best way is to use your hands. Patients appreciate the hands on work. It is one reason they keep coming back.
- Here you clear and strengthen your Qi by means of Qigong and Tai Chi practice every day. This training is an essential component in your becoming a competent practitioner. It continues throughout the program, laying a foundation for a lifetime of growth and refinement.
- Here you learn to use I Ching: The Oracle of The Cosmic Way to understand the nature of reality, find the source of human disharmonies in the psyche, and disentangle the language of the ego to enable balance and health.
- Here you learn and practice Western clinical skills that complement and support Chinese medicine. Homeopathy, mind-body medicine and cranio-sacral therapy are part of the clinical armamentarium of our interns and graduates.
- Here your clinical experience is extensive—over a thousand hours of preceptorship, clinical observation and one-on-one supervision from practitioners of varied backgrounds and persuasions.We believe there is no substitute for supervised clinical experience in preparation for competent and confident clinical practice.
- Here you join a stream of students and graduates who each year accomplish a high pass rate on the NCCAOM acupuncture examinations. Even more significant—as the years go by, we are seeing that a high percentage of our graduates are staying in practice.
Click Here for HOW TO APPLY, FORMS and ADMISSION POLICIES.